Whether you are trying to conceive or not, staying healthy during the holiday season is important. The reproductive specialists at RCC fertility clinic in Mississauga share tips to stay healthy during the upcoming holiday festivities.
- Offer to bring something. If you are attending a party, ask the host if you can bring a salad, vegetable side dish, or healthy appetizer. This will ensure there is at least one healthy dish you can count on.
- Don’t skip meals. It may be tempting to skip breakfast when you know you have a big lunch coming up, but then you are more likely to binge later on. Be sure to fit in a balanced meal at EVERY meal.
- Make a colorful plate. Eating a balanced meal isn’t the easiest thing to do with all those holiday buffets. Try to add a rainbow of fruits and veggies at each meal; think: green beans, tomatoes, carrots, blueberries, and grapes.
- Keep desserts to a minimum. Fill up on healthy proteins, grains, and produce, so you are less likely to binge on the sweets. We know those pies and cakes are tempting, but just have one small slice to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Watch your drinks. Mixed drinks and cider are empty calories. Drink water as much as you can—if you want something different, try adding fruit to your water for a fun and flavorful twist. Remember to stay away from the alcohol if you are trying to conceive.
- Go for a walk. Take a stroll with friends and family to burn off those calories after the big meal.
- Take preventative measures. Before the holiday season, remember to get your flu shot. While celebrating, wash your hands before every meal, and try not to share germs by double dipping!
- Catch some shut eye. The busy holiday season can take a toll on your body. Be sure to get enough rest so you don’t feel run-down.
- Practice self-care. Don’t forget about you! Take time out this holiday season to focus on yourself. Whether you just need to meditate, or want to indulge in a spa day—go for it! Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, especially when trying to grow your family.
The fertility team at RCC fertility clinic wishes you are your family a happy and healthy holiday! For more information about fertility treatments in Mississauga, contact us!